Sunday, May 27, 2012

What a Shitty Week

About a month ago Steven told me that lay offs were possible at his work.  His boss didn't think the server team (Steven's team) would be affected, but we were still a little concerned because Steven has only been there for eight months.
On Tuesday, Steven went to work as usual and the boys and I went to story time at the library.  When we got back, Steven's car was out front.  I was hoping with all my might that he was just sick, but deep down inside I knew.  I walked in the house and asked Steven why he was home and he said, "Lay offs."
Steven has been talking about maybe finding a new job this fall for the past several weeks.  We have to stay in the house for three years since we took the fist time home buyers credit and we can't really afford to pay back that $8,000.  He was pretty unhappy at this job, so he said he felt relief that he doesn't have to do it anymore and the decision was already made for him.
They are giving him some severance pay and benefits until the end of June.  Steven has already been in contact with several companies here in Austin, so hopefully he should find something soon.  If he can't find anything here, then he is going to look for places in the Midwest.
I'm freaking out more than Steven is and he keeps telling me to relax, but I can't.  It is hard knowing that you have two little kids, bills to pay and food to buy and really no money coming in.   I just have to keep telling myself that in the end everything will be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment